January 24, 2011

Shaking the Winter Blues

utahvalleymarathon

So one other small detail I forgot to mention the other day. I also registered for a full marathon (26.2 miles) in June. I chose the Utah Valley Marathon in June mainly because it has a fast course (lots of downhill) and beautiful scenery. The race starts in Wallsburg comes down and around Deer Creek Reservoir, through Provo canyon, and south on University Avenue to finish at the Provo Towne Center.

Here's a map of the course courtesy of www.utahvalleymarathon.com
Utah Valley Marathon course map

Elevation map of the course courtesy of www.utahvalleymarathon.com
Utah Valley Marathon elevation map

In all reality I'm shocked that I'm doing this race. A year ago I would not have imagined running a full blown marathon. I'm pretty nervous as I look over my training schedule but also excited to attempt and hopefully accomplish such a tremendous feat. I think back to my doubts and fears I had in myself as I approached the day of my first half marathon last August. All the way to the day of the race I was flip-flopping back and forth as to whether I was actually going to do the race. I had this thought in the back of mind that I might have to finish the race in an ambulance or something similar! Nevertheless I crossed the finish line in 2 hours and 45 minutes (not a fast time but somewhat respectable) I couldn't believe how incredible I felt at having reached a major accomplishment.



Strange how I'm beginning to experience the same types of feelings as I did last summer as the half marathon approached. I'm excited but realizing quickly how difficult it is to train in the winter. The extreme cold sucks to run in and is almost as bad as running in the extreme heat of summer. Not sure which is better, but right now I beginning to think the heat is. Winter brings slippery ice, wet snow that makes your feet freeze, cold air that freezes your nostrils, windpipe, lungs, and makes your nose runs like crazy. I won't even mention about someone like me who is 6'3" and 250+ pounds wearing spandex to keep warm.



Despite everything that freaks me out about the enormity of completing a full marathon I go back to remember the extreme rush of crossing the finish line with the two half marathons and several other 10K races I've done this past year. It's an awesome feeling. Hence the reason I've posted some of the pictures from my previous races this last year. Hopefully you can get a glimpse of what it's like to cross the finish line. Notice the look on my face in some of the pictures! So here's to shaking off the winter blues, windburned faces and frozen toes!! Come rain or snow February 11 marks the start of 16 weeks of the most grueling and physically demanding training I've ever attempted. Lets ROCK and ROLL baby!!! My future dream of full Ironman glory is one step closer!!

1 comment:

  1. You really are going for it. Good luck with all that running.

    ReplyDelete